Whether setting out to create the dream bathroom or kitchen remodel, sinks are almost always on a high priority list of fixtures. Similar to bath tubs, sinks are one of the unique centerpieces of the room and can deliver on varying degrees of functionality and appearance alike. As luxury bathroom and kitchen remodelers, the advances in materials and design features in sinks have come a long way in the last decade. Our job is to educate you on your options and ultimately guide you towards making the best decision for your room.
The Importance of Sinks
It goes without saying but kitchen or bathroom sinks play a pivotal role in how the space is used. Whether you are washing fruits and vegetables on a built-in strainer or using the sink to brush your teeth every night, the small differences in models will compound over years of use. It is important to choose the right sink fixture which incorporates everything you may use over the long haul.
Styles and Options
Sinks can be customized to fit just about any situation. However, for those looking to save a bit of cost and enhance the space already designed for their existing sink, here are a few of the most popular options to consider:
- Undermount Sink: this type of sink uses brackets which attach the tub to the underside of a countertop. With the countertop acting as an edging for the sink, this style is very sleek and usually is quite easy to clean up.
- Vessel Sinks: these types of sinks physically sit on top of the counter. The entire basin of the sink is exposed and it provides an eye-catching look that is hard to miss. Made of multiple types of materials, vessel sinks could be purchased in glass, stone, or even ceramic.
- Pedestal Sinks: as the name would suggest, pedestal sinks are raised off the ground with an attached 'pedestal'. This type of style hides the backside plumbing and offers a decorative option to maximize the space available.
- Wall-Mounted: these sinks are attached directly to the wall and are most commonly seen in modern era bathrooms. Again, the freestanding design offers a benefit when space is at a premium, while also providing all the function you would need in a bathroom wash area.
- Integrated/Drop-In Sinks: one of the most popular styles in the Western world is the drop-in sink. This presents an easy install and removal option which simply gets set in place from the top down. Nowadays, these sinks can be purchased in traditional stone or ceramic materials while also offering synthetic options like composite granite or composite marble.
Bathroom and Kitchen Sink Considerations
When it comes to deciding on fixture like the sink, it is important to think about how the sink will be used. Kitchen sinks and bathroom sinks are usually treated very differently. The styles and sizing of each vary due to the different uses of each room. As such, one of the first considerations is deciding on the proper size. Many kitchen sink spaces are 22 x 30 inches. If you are considering replacement, you need to either replace the same size space or widen the area using various tools. The same goes for bathroom sinks. Either way, size is a key consideration before pulling the trigger.
Secondly, style, durability, and ease of cleaning each play their respective roles in the decision. Depending on the style you are looking to achieve, it is important to have your sink act as a centerpiece. Ideally it doesn't detract from the overall theme or color scheme but instead acts as the perfect additive to your remodel. Durability is important to consider when deciding between certain materials. Some materials like glass are very risky when thinking about kids, while porcelain can withstand just about anything. Cleaning is also an important factor as some synthetic or composite materials can stain or resist cleaning more than others.
We are Westerville's Sink Experts
No matter who you are or what your style, our team of bathroom and kitchen professionals have the experience and knowledge to walk you through the decision making process with confidence. We can assure you that no matter what option you decide to go with, it will add to the visual appeal of the room while also fitting within your budget. Give our team a call today to see how we can make your dream a reality.